Sunday, January 3, 2010

Sherlock Holmes

Thanks, I’ll pass

Look, I’m going to be honest with you. This pic is the main reason I went to see Sherlock Holmes. Robert Downey Jr. has managed to give us several decades of hotness, not to mention fantastic acting performances.

Downey did not disappoint, but many other aspects of the film did. I have to place the blame with the director, Guy Ritchie. He seems like would rather be a member of Fight Club than make a good movie. All his movies have dudes engaging in bloody fights. The adorable Rachel McAdams was completely wasted to the point where I wonder if Ritchie simply didn’t know what to do with a chick!

What did work was Jude Law as Watson. Law tends to be a forgettable actor for me. However, when I see him on the screen, he always delivers a top-notch performance. The chemistry between Law and Downey was the best part of the film.

The scenery was rich and authentic looking. Everything looked and felt believable, but at a running time of 2 hours and 14 minutes, I found myself screaming for an editor. This, once again, brings up the excessive fight scenes. I decided that I could sneak in a little snooze during one of the extended brawls and guess what? I opened my eyes and quickly picked up the story without having missed anything I needed to understand the plot.

Of course the end of the picture hinted at a sequel, and I’m sure they’ll make one. I’ll be torn. Maybe if they bring in another director, or if you can promise me better pacing. If not, I’m afraid I’ll have to save my $10 bucks and nap at home.

No comments: