Saturday, January 2, 2010

365 Seinfeld


I was right. I couldn’t pull myself away from The Twilight Zone marathon long enough to write a New Year’s Day post. Oh well…in the end I made the right choice. It’s only once a year that the Syfy network rolls those out, so I must indulge myself

Now we’re here with a new year – heck, a new decade- and Colleenie’s Couch is going to up the ante. You can still take a seat on the couch and get great TV, movie, book and music reviews, but I’m adding several new regular features that I think you’ll enjoy.

I already mentioned that this is the place to be when American Idol revs up again later this month. My regular feature “Idol Chatter” will be a great forum to discuss and diss all the current contestants. Believe me, I have lots of opinions and advice. It’s my firm belief that the show should have hired me instead of Ellen!

Another new feature will be 365 Days with Seinfeld. Seinfeld is just hands down the best sitcom ever. My husband and I loved this show when it originally aired. Now my oldest child regularly watches the repeats and even my youngest pops in now and again. This show really has staying power! I began to notice that we make lots of Seinfeld references. It got me thinking, “I’ll bet we don’t get through a 24 hour period without quoting Seinfeld.” Once I started to pay attention, I realized I was right. Within one day, we’ll either quote it, or something will happen to make me refer back to the show.

So here we go. I’m unveiling 365 Seinfeld. This is a completely organic experiment to see how many days in 2010 I will quote, think and encounter Seinfeld references. I don’t want to bombard you with a daily post, so my thought is to post a week’s worth each Friday. As we go along, maybe this will change. If you would also like to post your Seinfeld occurrences, please feel free.

Now, much like the episode The Contest, we all have to be comfortable within the confines of the honor system. I’m no George. I’ll be completely honest about my days. If I honestly get through a whole day with no reference, I will let you know. This is only an experiment. There is no medal or anything at the end of the year. However, wouldn’t that be awesome? What would be a great Seinfeld trophy? Maybe that blue lady statue George broke as a kid? How about a Tweety Bird Pez dispenser? Or a poster signed by “the other one” of The Three Tenors?

Let’s get started then, shall we? As previously mentioned, yesterday was all about The Twilight Zone Marathon. It was afternoon, I was still in my pj’s and I was doing load after load of laundry. I knew at some point I was going to have to get dressed and go grocery shopping. With the kids on school break, they’ve been eating me out of house and home. Still, I was in a laundry groove and didn’t want to go out in public. The afternoon drug on and I knew I had to get it in gear. I looked at my husband and said, “But I don’t wanna go grocery shopping!” It was the best Jerry whine I could muster. My husband replied, “I don’t wanna be a pirate!” My daughter, who was at the computer, chuckled. “Puffy shirt!” we all exclaimed.

So begins 2010. Right now I’m the only one awake. It’s unlikely I’ll get a Seinfeld reference now, but it’s not impossible! I have fourteen hours to go!

No comments: