Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Mary Travers


Jet Plane to Heaven

Mary Travers, of the trio Peter, Paul and Mary, passed away today at the age of 72. The folk trio of the 1960’s that had such hits as, Puff, the Magic Dragon and Leaving on a Jet Plane, brought folk music into the mainstream pop music scene.

When I was in the 5th grade my teacher wanted to teach the class Puff, the Magic Dragon. She kept stumbling over the words and I took over. “How could you not know all the words?” I wondered.

I had the pleasure of seeing Peter, Paul and Mary live in the early 90’s. That reunion concert holds a special place in my heart.

I attended the concert with my father. It was because of him that I knew groups like Peter, Paul and Mary and the Kingston Trio. I still have all my Dad’s vinyl albums in my garage (I know not the best place). He beamed with pride that night as we sang along and he saw that I remembered all the songs he played for me in my childhood.

My dad passed away just a couple of years after we attended that concert. I thank Mary Travers and Peter and Paul for the wonderful memories they gave to me. At my wedding I had a special request song for the dance with my father. You guessed it, Puff, the Magic Dragon.

Maybe right now they’re hanging out in heaven and she’s singing for my dad. I know he’d join in.

Rest in peace.

No comments: