Thursday, June 25, 2009

Michael Jackson - A Tribute


I was simply stunned to hear of the passing of Michael Jackson. It was difficult for me, as I’m sure it was for so many Michael fans. Over the years he’s slipped into such a bizarre side show freak, it was difficult to see the King of Pop we loved our whole lives.

Now, because of such a tragic demise, we’ll forget all that. We’ll remember the music, the boy, the man and all he did for music. He made everyone take notice of R&B and broke ground for African-Americans on mainstream airwaves.

I was at work when I heard the news of his passing. Then my sister called me. Everyone was on the phone talking to someone. I was okay. It was shocking, but I really didn’t have any emotion behind it.

When I left work, I got in the car and started the engine. In a true serendipitous moment the car radio came on. I had left it on Alice 97.3 FM, a station that never plays Michael. Of all the songs they could they choose, it was my all time favorite, “Rock With You,” from the Off the Wall album. This will always be the greatest Michael album. I listen to that song at least once a week. I started to cry and then I cranked it.

I turned my radio volume to 60. I’ve never turned it that loud. I wanted to physically feel the music. It was there beating into me and I rolled down all my car windows and became the “Traveling Michael Jackson Tribute Mobile.”

On my way home I heard Thriller, PYT, Off the Wall…when Human Nature came on my hand went to my chest, oh the ache.

Remember the music and the times in our life it defined again and again. It was a strange and crazy trip.

No comments: