Tuesday, February 22, 2011

10 Days 10 Noms - Day Seven

The Fighter

The Fighter was the other film I felt was a bit weak to receive a Best Picture nomination. This was a “good” film, but it never rose above that level for me. Story wise, there simply wasn’t enough there to catapult this into that greatness of films that will live on. Honestly, can you really say this film blew you away?

The true story of boxing brothers Micky Ward and Dicky Eklund takes the audience into the world of professional boxing, drug addiction and family ties.

I did go to the theater to see this and I have to say, half way in I looked at my watch and contemplated if I could take another hour of all the damm screaming in yelling! Most of the film is your worst nightmare of family arguments and crap that keeps spewing over and over. These people keep yelling and everyone is constantly talking at once. Authentic? Maybe. Unbearably annoying? YES!

The film is getting attention because of the acting. Everyone brought their A game, not just Christian Bale. Sometimes quiet performances go unnoticed and I love that Bale has publicly reminded people how wonderful Mark Wallenberg is in this film. His understated performance anchors everyone else and is reminiscent of another performance that I feel was never appreciated enough. It also happens to be another boxing picture. Of course I’m talking about Clint Eastwood in Million Dollar Baby. So, I’m not in any way bad mouthing this film. I appreciate everything it brought to the table, but it felt more like an original film for HBO, not a theatrical release.

I do believe Christian Bale will receive a much deserved Oscar simply for his complete emergence in this role.

Still, in at nutshell, it failed to move me.

No comments: