Wednesday, February 23, 2011

10 Days 10 Noms - Day Eight

The King's Speech

I one hundred percent believe this film will take home the top prize on Sunday night. And you know what? I’m okay with that.

I honestly saw this film simply because it was nominated. I’m not one of those people who find The British Royal Family very interesting. This film however is great movie making because it engaged me in a subject matter that I thought I didn’t care about. By the end I felt deeply for these characters/real people and I was touched and uplifted. Of all the nominated films this does leave you feeling good. Maybe academy voters will feel we need that right now. Especially that you can invoke these feeling on a film that ends with the start of World War II!

In addition, I think Colin Firth will get Best Actor, but it’s really Geoffrey Rush’s fantastic performance that makes this film. It’s a shame he has to be nominated the same year as Christian Bale. Firth did a fine job, but he’s really getting a career Oscar and not a single performance award like Natalie Portman will.

It was to my benefit that I do not follow British history. I had no idea of the conflict between the future King George VI and his brother, so I was able to be on the edge of my seat wondering how this would all go down. I do have to point out a casting flaw though with Guy Pearce as Firth older brother. In real life, Pearce is seven years younger than Firth and he looks it. I don’t know in real life if this was the case, but it bugged me.

Seeing Helena Bonham-Carter have a nice role where she’s actually acting was also a refreshing change. It made me miss her. She should make it a point to not play scary, weird looking characters who scream all the time.

Sure, Black Swan or Toy Story 3 walking away with this would be awesome, but if we’re going to go with the sure thing (and they always do) at least this is a great solid film that can be enjoyed for years to come. It teaches and entertains and that’s enough in my book.

No comments: