Friday, May 22, 2009

Kris Allen - Part 2



I knew there would be backlash. Why did Kris win instead of Adam? Look, it's simple math and I can only do simple math! The top 3 were Adam, Danny and Kris. Once Danny was voted off the Gokey factor went into affect. C'mon, fans of Danny weren't going to run over and vote for Adam. Now, if the top 3 were Adam, Allison and Kris, then Adam would've won.

I can't post the actually video performance, but Kris won with his performance of "Heartless." Think about it. This performance was a bigger risk than Adam ever took. Cute little white boy pulling off a Kayne West song and sounding totally believable with lines like, "I've got my homies." That night he sealed his fate as the next "American Idol."

In the finale, Adam sang three songs. Kris sang three songs and played guitar AND piano. So give credit where it's due. Maybe he wasn't your pick, but Kris is a talented guy who was just himself week after week, and I for one, am glad to see it paid off.

1 comment:

WSSS admin said...

It makes perfect sense to me that Kris won. He's multi-talented, charming, and easy to listen to. Isn't that what American Idol is about?

But in perfect American style, folks see things only as black or white.

So when Kris wins, Adam loses? Hardly. They're already talking about making him the new front man for Queen.

Listen, I liked Adam, but I also thought he could stand to edit himself a little. A thoughtful artist knows how to be judicious with the bells and whistles. He was about 50/50 on restraint, which would have shown off his vocals even more.

But what does it matter? Adam Lambert is an amazing talent and doesn't really need Idol to go where he's going.

On the other hand, Idol likely helped Kris find his way to the top. He's a boy next door. Whodathunk? A boy next door with natural vocal talent, the ability to imprint his style on any song, practiced musicianship, and a humble charm that makes him accessible and likeable.

--------
Honestly, if I had my way, it would have been a fight to the finish between Danny Gokey and Kris Allen (who knows who would have won there?) with Adam in a very respectable third place.

Still, I'm happy with the results. It's been a good season.

Tamara Sellman