Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Inception

Movie Review:

Can I start by saying that the biggest problem I’ve been having with movies lately is that they are too darn long? I have no problem with long movies. I’m a fan of Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter; hey, I saw Gandhi in the theater and it was so long they actually had an intermission!

So I’m in no way against a long film. The problem I’m having is that they’re making them long when there’s not enough good content to carry the film. Case in point: Inception.

This film clocked in at two hours and thirty-eight minutes, and I kid you not when I say you could easily trim forty minutes from this thing!

DiCaprio leads a top notch cast of actors that I love. Ellen Page and Joseph Gordon-Levitt give good performances, but I’m not sure they’re fit for big-budget special effects movies. They are capable of going deeper than what the characters called for, so I feel like they were wasted.

Also, can I point out for the techies that the trailer gives up the best special effect in the whole movie? I never saw a better visual scene than Ellen Page’s dream of the city folding up on itself.

As far as Christopher Nolan is concerned, I think there’s a problem transitioning to larger films for him. I know I’m alone on an island with this one, but he has failed to blow me anyway as much as he did with Memento. That movie was short, trippy and cool. Now, with The Dark Knight and Inception, I feel like he’s delivering Costco movies. Costco sells the brands you want, but sometimes they are packaged so large you’re tired of the product by the time you reach the end.

Everyone is going on and on about how great this movie is; however, I had to go to the restroom (I never leave a movie by the way) just to try to keep myself awake. When I returned, I still nodded off a couple of times. The main dream sequence was so long and drawn out and when you know it’s a dream, it feels all the more tedious.

I really tried to get into this. My husband and brother-in-law loved it and thought I was too harsh, as usual. What can I say? I call em’ as I see em’!

*Let's take look at what someone else thought!

http://www.northof25a.org/2010/07/inception.html

8 comments:

ofthesea said...

Hi! Visiting from 31DBBB :)

I'm going to browse your blog tomorrow and get back at you with some thoughts, though I really liked what I diagonal-read so far!

M

North of 25A said...

Hi! Visiting from SITS - had to stop by - not too many people I know who are also called Colleenie! Funny also that my post yesterday was about "Inception" - I will look forward to spending more time reading your blog. I always want to know about what people are reading. Great concept.
Best,
Colleen

North of 25A said...

What a great line: Costco sells the brands you want, but sometimes they are packaged so large you’re tired of the product by the time you reach the end.

Two hours & 38 minutes! No wonder I was tired.

Great writing! Hope you have a great weekend.

Best,
Colleen

Karen said...

Nice to hear a different POV. I loved Memento but wasn't a big fan of The Dark Night. It was OK - just over rated IMO.
I have a feeling my husband are going to share your opinion. Still might check it out though....

Katie said...

Hi, visiting from SITS :) I have heard mixed reviews about Inception. My nephew (a bit of a sci-fi lover) loved it...it honestly was off my radar this summer. Thanks for the review...I might just wait for the DVD (unless it gets any hotter and we need serious A/C!) Glad to see you weren't alone w/ your thoughts (following post). Have a great day! :)

Amy said...

Hey! I'm a fellow #31DBBB challenger. I could not agree more about the long movie thing. Shoot me! What is with the 2 1/2 hour thing going on in American cinema?! Thank you! My husband really wants to see Inception. He'll have to drag me kicking and screaming. :-)

Erica said...

Thanks for the review. I will wait until it comes out on DVD. Don't like long movies!

Kimberly said...

Thanks for the review! I'm not a fan of long movies, even the ones I love. I can't sit still for more than 90 minutes in our fast food society. It'll go in my Netflix queue.