Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Song of the Week - Bonnie Raitt/Right Down the Line


Gerry Rafferty's original verision of this song is one of my all time favorite tunes. It puts me in such a musical hypnotic state, that I tend to listen to it over and over again for about an hour.

This makes it a tough one to merit a cover, but I must say Ms. Raitt, unsurprisingly, makes it work. Really, if anyone was going to be able to pull it off, it would be her.

I'm also really digging the video and seeing the wide range of couple pairing. In that vein, it would have been kind of cool if she kept the "woman" in the song instead of changing it to "baby." I don't think it's necessary to change gender specific words in songs. It's a song! Sing it like it was written. Maybe she felt by changing it to "baby" it made it more all inclusive. If that's the case, that's cool.

No comments: