Monday, May 21, 2012

The Avengers - Movie Review


So what does a movie loving mother want to do on Mother’s Day? See The Avengers of course! The family gathered together, which is a challenge with one teenager and one young adult. I couldn’t think of a better crowd pleasing movie to take the whole family too.

I’ve seen and enjoyed all the movies leading up The Avengers except I never saw Thor. I planned to see it, but sometimes you can’t get them all in. I even had Thor on hold at Blockbuster for Friday night. I didn’t pick it up though. I had a long work week and I wasn’t up to it. It was my one regret. Though it was not necessary to have seen Thor in order to follow The Avengers plotline, I did feel some pivotal points would have been further enhanced if I did.

If you’ve been following all the movies leading to this, you know that there will be an inevitable threat to the world and all the avengers will be forced to work together. Guess what? You’re right!

Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) must find a way to band together S.H.I.E.L.D in order to save the world from the Tesseract. This small, glowing green cube is an energy source and possesses mind controlling ability too. It’s now in the hands of the evil, Loki, Thor’s half-brother. Of course he wants to rule the galaxy, blah, blah, blah. As usual, this all doesn’t really matter because you just want to see super heroes fighting and on this The Avengers delivers big time!

At first you would think this movie packs in too many super-heroes, but fine writing and the comedic abilities of the actors, keep it fun and easy to follow. Maybe because everyone does have such a strong personality, no one is fading in the background and they all get their moments to shine. The always hard working, Mark Ruffalo, does a fabulous job stepping into the thrice cast role of The Hulk. Robert Downey Jr. has many great lines, but doesn’t over take the film. Younger actors, Chris Hemsworth (Thor) and Chris Evans (Captain America) do a fine job holding their own with the more experienced actors.

The fun part of this movie was it got me so excited I found myself yelling things at the screen! Hey, I’m a 44 year old mom and I can usually control myself, but first the movie started with a new character, Agent Maria Hill (Cobie Smulders), this came out of left field for me and as a huge, How I Met Your Mother, fan, I couldn’t help but shout out, “SCHERBATSKY!”

Then Hulk was awesome. Believe me the mother of two teenagers certainly knows a thing or two about controlling rage, but when Hulk finally busts out, there I was yelling, “You go Hulk!”

Ah, then there’s Iron Man. What can I say, he’s sooo cool. How could I possible contain myself? I had to shout a few time, “Get em’ Iron Man!”

Maybe this was not how the typical mom would want to spend Mother’s Day, but for me it was a wonderful time with my whole family together and the perfecr summer flick before summer has even started.

You go Avengers!

No comments: