Sunday, November 7, 2010

The New King of Late Night


Well, tomorrow is the debut of Conan’s new late-night talk show on TBS. Everyone thought he was facing tough competition going up against Jay Leno and David Letterman.

Conan was going to have a jump on those guys by airing a half an hour before they come earlier. However, there’s one show that airs the same time as Conan and he’s the new King of Late Night. I’m talking about Jon Stewart of The Daily Show.


Sure the week they tabulated the rates all three shows were in repeats, but do you realize what a major accomplishment it is for a basic cable show to beat out the networks?

It’s also a major win for us viewers. While on the surface, it may look like it’s making Conan’s job harder, it’s actually a good thing. We will flip. We the audience will seek out quality entertainment and we won’t watch whatever comes on after the local news. There are options out there and if it means the pie gets sliced thinner, I’d rather have a small slice of chocolate cream than a huge piece of coconut, which I hate.

So I relish Stewart’s victory. It means there’s now officially diversity in the late night wars. But you and I have known that for a long time. Now the big-wigs need to take note.

3 comments:

THUNDERCAT said...

OH MY GOD I LOVE HIM! I AM A LOYAL VIEWER AND I WOULD SO HAVE HIS BABY! *still screaming*

Lin said...

The hubs & I love him! I cant stay up late enough to see his show because of work so the hubs always dvr's it for me :)

Karen said...

I LOVE The Daily Show. I have seen every single episode except one when it was raining and my DVR didn't record it.
I don't think I could get through all this political stuff without him.