Sunday, January 18, 2009

Welcome back!


Flight of the Conchords – Season Two

Tonight begins season two of my favorite new comedy, “Flight of the Conchords.” The show follows the trials and tribulations of New Zealand’s fourth most popular Folk band. As the boys (Bret McKenzie & Jermaine Clement) try to make a music career happen in New York City, they are challenged by an inept manager, their one crazed fan, and constant poverty.

I came a little late to the party with Season One. HBO had already aired seven of the ten episodes before I finally sat my butt down to watch the show via OnDemand. The best part was that I was able to be swept up into a large dose of their absurd world. I did not move from the sofa. I plowed through every episode, one after the other. My daughter wandered in on episode three and asked, “What are you watching?” “Oh, it’s this new show. Have a seat!” I said. She stayed with me till the end, and then I went back to show her the ones she missed. We’ve been crazed fans ever since.

If you signed up for the "HBO Flight of the Conchords” newsletter, you were treated to an advance viewing of tonight’s first episode. Often, when a show goes on hiatus, it quickly falls off my must see list. However, five minutes into this episode I was easily reminded of why I love it so much.

Alas, my enjoyment was tinged with sadness. For the first time in my life, I am without HBO. Growing up, my family was huge TV fanatics who didn’t go out much. We heavily relied on our TV for entertainment, so from my pre-teen years we had all the premium cable channels. In adulthood, I used the same reasoning; if vacation and a night out on the town were a rarity, we could at least fall back on cable to give ourselves a relaxing evenings at home.

Now though, I felt compelled to make deep cuts financially to get through these tough economic times, the irony being that I’ve created this blog when I have less access than ever to a vast array of TV watching.

I’m hoping I can pick up the new episodes on iTunes or Amazon on Demand. What I don’t know is will they offer the show weekly, right after it airs? If not, I’ll have to wait till the entire season is over and I’ve now realized it’s going to be harder than I thought.

Like our new president has warned, this won’t be easy. He’s right. 2009 is already proving to test my wills. Yet I must persevere as an American and believe that times will get better. I will once again bask in the luxury of my premium cable, but until then…

I love you guys! Wait for me!

No comments: