Friday, August 15, 2008

Netflix Snafu

When I arrived home from work yesterday, I expected my next Netflix DVD to be in my mailbox. It wasn’t. Oh well, I wasn’t planning on watching it till the weekend anyway. Then, today, I received an e-mail from Netflix informing me that they received my DVD return, but they are experiencing some shipping issues. I would receive my next DVD as soon as the problem was resolved and they’d be issuing a credit for my inconvenience.

A short time later, I saw a story on MSN about “Severe Shipping Issues at Netflix.” Now the concerns were about customers jumping ship to Blockbuster and questions arising in regards to what the real issue may be.

Can we just lay off? I’m guessing someone at Netflix screwed up. I’ve been a Netflix customer since 2001 and it’s been one of the best companies I’ve ever done business with. They constantly e-mail customers to track when DVD’s arrive and I’ve never received an incorrect DVD. Once, when I didn’t receive a DVD, it was no problem notifying them to remove it from my account.

We’ve become so incessant in our instant gratification, that as soon as there’s a mistake or problem, everyone’s ready to bail. That’s sad.

Let’s cut Netflix some slack. As companies go, they’ve had a pretty good track record. Unlike some companies these days, Netflix handled the situation well. They alerted me to the problem instead of trying to cover it up and they already answered my next question by informing me that I’ll receive some kind of credit for my inconvenience. Netflix stood up to their goof and I’m confident they’ll do right by their customers.

Oh, and guess what? When I got home from work today, my next DVD was in my mailbox. Good job Netflix!

No comments: