Saturday, May 28, 2011

Midnight in Paris - Movie Review



Not only have I been absent from my blogging duties lately, but I also haven’t gone to the movies for weeks. I have my oldest kid graduating High School and my youngest graduating 8th grade. First, we were getting through all the final projects and tests. Now, it’s all the graduating events. It all comes to a conclusion with a huge graduation party at my house. I’m not a very experienced party thrower so this has been creating a lot of stress in my life. Today I found a temporary escape from the chaos by taking in the new Woody Allen flick, Midnight In Paris.

I should have been house cleaning all day, but the movie bug bit me and I said to the hubby, “Want to go to the movies?” Then I had second thoughts, how irresponsible of me, I have so much to do! One of the many reasons I married my husband is because he’s able to convince me, in similar situations, just forget everything for a moment and go.

What a joyful movie experience! The first showing sold out! It was in a smaller auditorium and the larger screen’s showing was only an hour away. We actually had to stand in line in the lobby for a half an hour! I can’t remember the last time I’ve had to do that.

I’m a Woody fan, but I don’t rush out to see everything he’s ever made. I’ve been hearing good things about this one and the movie poster is simply gorgeous so my interest was piqued.

Owen Wilson takes on the “Woody” character this time and it’s a refreshing change. He worries and broods too much, yet doesn’t fall into the extreme eccentricities that we usually see in Allen’s main male characters.

This time we’re taken to Paris with Gil (Wilson) and Inez (Rachel McAdams), an engaged couple visiting with the girl’s parents who have business there. Gil is a Hollywood screenwriter who dreams of becoming a novelist. He is inspired by Paris and only desires to walk in the rain and soak up the ambience.

Inez, on the other hand, wants to see what type of expense antiques she can find and to hang out with her horribly pretentious friends, which she unexpectedly ran in to. It’s clear that Gil and Inez do not see eye to eye on many things. Gil is annoyed by Inez’s parents and friends and begins to spend time walking the streets of Paris at night alone. However, he is not alone for long.

Gil gets invited into an old time taxi and is transported to Paris in the 1920’s. There he meets the writers of his dreams; The Fitzgeralds, Ernest Hemingway (mark my words, Corey Stoll will snag a Best Supporting Actor Nod) and Gertude Stein. There are many fun appearances from artists of the time and Owen Wilson does a great job of ushering the viewer into this make-believe world.

Like a typical Woody Allen film, this one is short and sweet. It was a refreshing change to a film clocking in at an hour and 40 minutes. I saw this on a busy weekend and it was a nice break. The cinematography of Paris was gorgeous and it truly was an “escape” film in every way. It was the best movie going experience I had in a long time: anticipation in line, packed house, responsive audience and a husband who started the applause when the end credits rolled. What more could you ask for?

3 comments:

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

I'm so glad you shared this, Colleen, it's my kind of movie. I'm definitely going to check it out.

Thanks for stopping by my blog today. It was much appreciated.

Castor said...

Glad you enjoyed this Colleen. Such a whimsical and delightful film! I actually went to see it a second time just this morning ;)

Colleen said...

It was such a great movie going experience. I hope some of the other summer films are as fun as this one!